Monday, March 31, 2014

A little in the pink


This is Vogue 7281.  I'm not too keen on the body/sleeve all in one after making this. The pink adds an unexpected pop, I think.   I tried to "fix" the sleeve and cut up under the armhole area several times and probably over-corrected it.  It's still wearable and will be so much cooler that what I usually end up wearing for work in the summer.  I probably should have left it alone and just bought shoulder pads.  I also added an inch to lengthen it and then made a facing to hem it - which added another inch.  Length is perfect.  I'll be making slacks to follow, but not from this pattern. I'd read that the sleeves were narrow, but they seemed fine for me.  In the "old" days, I had many problems with sleeves being too narrow.  Would I make it again, as they ask in Pattern Review?  Well, I really want to love this pattern as it's very quick to make.  I may try one more to see if I can tweak the armhole issue.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Bertha the Singer 15-91

This is my latest acquisition.  She's gorgeous.  She works.  I'm not sure why I had to have her, but I did.  She's quiet and a lot cleaner for her age than I ever thought she'd be.  I took the covers off the head and the back and the throat plates, and other than a little felt/lint under the feed dogs, she really looked pretty clean.
Instead of being relegated to the garage with the machines, she rated a place in my office.
I've bid on a newer buttonholer that can make keyhole buttonholes, but this old one came with the machine.  So I thought I'd oil her up and give her a try.  Now if I can only figure out how to tell where the buttonhole is going to end up on the fabric before I stitch it, I'll be happy.

Sunday, February 02, 2014

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Uniquely Done

 
She's done.  No, I wasn't just adorning her with necklaces to make her pretty, but to double check her neck marking.  Overall, she's made me happy so far.
 

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Uniquely Me




 



My Uniquely You dress form needed a makeover. Instead of buying her slightly smaller than me and padding up, I bought a larger size relying on being able to sew the cover in to pull her in.  But the waist wasn't at the right level and various other problems.  So I ended up slicing her up with a carving knife and am covering up the damage. Need to tweak the bottom edge, add some elastic to bottom, cover and dart some at armholes, add a pin cushion to top.  Lastly, I'll give her a good steam with my steamer to shrink it a little bit to smooth it out. 

Overall, I'm pleased so far.

Thursday, December 05, 2013

Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Can't wait for Christmas!

I know   Looks like a repeat.  But the deeper red goes better in my living room. These were leftover pieces from the tablecloth I finished off. Did the old puffy paint trick around edges. Still it looks great. I'm happy. I'm ready for Christmas. Need a pretty skirt to make up for the lack of gifts to hide the ground!!

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Halloween Princess

Scarlett wants to be ALL the princesses. I think this getup will do the trick. This could have been a little more refined, but seriously, it will be worn once. I had no pattern for the dress and it ended up too small. Pieced in a strip up each side of bodice and sleeve.  Over all I'm pleased with it.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Singer Magic Press


 

Yay for me!  I got one off Craigslist. Now I need to make something where I need to use it. It has led a very useful life already, and I cleaned the top plate with every known method. It doesn't come off on fabric when ironing, so I think it's all right!  Made a new fabric cover with what I had handy  

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Sweat Shoppe


 
It's no beauty, but it's my space!
 


 


 


 

 

 


Thursday, July 25, 2013

More machine knitting and sewing



This teal shrug for Scarlett was fast and a lot of fun once Sandy, www.alessandrina.com, explained how to do it.  Basically a rectangle sewn into a circle.  II had never used the ribber doing a tuck stitch on my kh930.

The black vest is not what I had intended to make , but still is wearable. It's made out of a wool rayon yarn on the 930. I made the back too long to make into a traditional men's vest look with points in the front and a button band. So I just made  a pullover instead.

.


And Scarlett loves her aprons and her ladybug one in particular. When it's dirty, she doesn't like to wear the plain one I made her. So hopefully she'll like the cupcake one as well as her ladybug apron.